Christ Church, King Sterndale

Recent Photograph of Christ Church (King Sterndale)

The name “Sterndale” derives from stæner dæl - stony dale, or valley - with the King prefix because it belonged to the royal manor and forest of the Peak; whereas Earl Sterndale was established by Henry de Ferrers, Earl of Derby, on land given to him by William the Conquerer.

Christ Church was built in 1848, and King Sterndale became a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1851, though it wasn't until 1898 that it became a separate civil parish, encompassing areas which were previously in the civil parishes of Bakewell and Hope.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Alf Beard on 4th September 2006.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/KingSterndale/ChristChurch.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library