Primitive Methodist Chapel, Monyash

Recent Photograph of Primitive Methodist Chapel (Monyash)

The Foundation Stone for this building was laid on 16th May 1888, though it is believed that an earlier building was present on this spot, dating from the coming to the village of the Primitive Methodist missionary, Phillip Bown, in 1828. Bown was a native of Hognaston, and was the first member of the Winster Primitive Methodist Circuit. His appearance in Monyash is mentioned by the Revd. H. B. (Holliday Bickerstaffe) Kendall, in his book The Origin and History of the Primitive Methodist Church (vol.1):

“He did a good day's work when, at the direction of the circuit authorities, he re-missioned a village nine miles from Winster called Monyash. The village is not large; it has not more than four hundred inhabitants. It cannot be said to be beautiful, though it is not devoid of a certain austere attractiveness. It can, indeed, lay claim to the possession of an ancient church restored without being spoiled and to a crumbling village cross.”

The Chapel is to be found on the east side of the aptly named Chapel Street, the street leading north of the village square, whereas - appropriately - St Leonard's Church may be found in Church Street, which leads off the village square to the south.

(Information provided by Alf Beard/Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Alf Beard on 7th September 2004.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/DBY/Monyash/PrimitiveMethodist.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library