Aust

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

AUST, a chapelry in that part of the parish of HENBURY which is in the upper division of the hundred of HENBURY, county of GLOUCESTER, 4 miles (W.S.W.) from Thornbury, containing 192 inhabitants. This village, surrounded by salt marshes, is situated on the banks of the Severn, over which was formerly a ferry, now abandoned, in consequence of the establishment of a more convenient communication at New Passage, a mile and a half lower down the river. That rare mineral, sulphate of strontian, and carbonate of strontian, has been found in the fissures of the rocks bordering on the Severn.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Aust/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library