Beachley

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1923.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

BEACHLEY is a hamlet and ecclesiastical parish formed August 23, 1850, from the parish of Tidenham, on the extreme point of the peninsula formed by the rivers Severn and Wye, 3½ miles south from Tidenham station on the Wye Valley railway, and 4 miles from Chepstow station on the South Wales section of the Great Western railway, and 10 miles south-west from Lydney, in the Forest of Dean division of the county, Westbury hundred, union and county court district of Chepstow, petty sessional division of Lydney, rural deanery of South Forest, archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester.

The church of St. John, erected in 1833, is a plain cruciform edifice of Beachley stone, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts and a western bell-cot containing one bell: there are 120 sittings. The separate register dates only from the year 1836; all earlier entries are included in the registers of Tidenham. The living is a perpetual curacy, net yearly value £112, in the gift of the Bishop of Gloucester, and held since 1914 by the Rev. Reginald Pemberton Steer M.A. of Magdalen College, Oxford, who is also vicar of Tidenham, where he resides.
[Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1923]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Beachley/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library