Tutshill

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1923.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

St. Luke's chapel of ease, at TUTSHILL, 1¼ miles south-west from the parish church [of Tidenham], is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch, vestry and organ chamber and a turret containing 3 bells: the roof was renovated in 1896 at a cost of £400: there are 250 sittings. The chapel of ease of St. Michael and All Angels, at Tidenham Chase, 2½ miles north of the parish church, erected in 1888 by the Rev. Fielding Palmer M.A. at a cost of £1,200, is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a turret containing one bell: there are 100 sittings: the east window is a memorial to Miss P. Phillips, of Pen Moel House, Tutshill, and the two west windows form a memorial to the Rev. Fielding Palmer M.A. d. 1897.

There is a Wesleyan chapel at Tidenham. A charity of £45 yearly, left by Mrs. Williams, is distributed to the poor. The Iron room at Stroat, built by Miss Morgan, of Boughspring, in 1888, has a library and reading-room, and is also used for religious services and meetings of various kinds. The Memorial Hall at Woodcroft was erected by Mrs. Morgan, of Tidenham House, in memory of her husband, T.H. Morgan esq. and contains reading and coffee rooms and a spacious hall in which religious services are held. On the banks of the Wye, and not far distant, are Tintern Abbey, Raglan Castle, Piercefield Park, Chepstow Castle, Usk, Caldecot, and the Roman station of Caerwent.

Sedbury Park, now (1922) unoccupied, is about 2 miles from Chepstow; the mansion is in the Italian style, and stands in a finely timbered estate, traversed by the famous Offa's Dyke. Tidenham House is the residence of Henry Francis Morgan esq. J.P.; Pen Moel, of William Robert Price esq. J.P. H.F. Morgan esq. J.P. and William Royse Lysaght esq. C.B.E., J.P. (Mon.), are the chief landowners. The soil is loamy; subsoil, limestone. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 6,374 acres of land, 2 of water, 924 of tidal water and 626 of foreshore; rateable value, £15,158; the population in 1911 was 1,710 in the civil and 1,608 in the ecclesiastical parish.

Under the provisions of the Divided Parishes Act, 1882, Madgett and Sheepcott farms have been transferred from Wollastone to Tidenham for civil purposes.

SEDBURY, about 2 miles south; Bishton and Church End, 1 mile west; Stroat and Wibdon, 2 miles north, are hamlets.
[Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1923]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Tutshill/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library