Tidenham

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

TIDENHAM, a parish forming, with the parish of Wollastone, a detached portion of the hundred of WESTBURY, county of GLOUCESTER, 2 miles (N.E. by N.) from Chepstow, containing, with the chapelry of Lancaut, 1102 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £7. 14., and in the patronage of - Davis, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The parish occupies a considerable tongue of land, formed by the rivers Severn and Wye, which unite at its southern extremity.

LANCAUT, a chapelry in the parish of TIDENHAM, hundred of WESTBURY, though locally in that of Blidesloe, county of GLOUCESTER, 2 miles (N.) from Chepstow. The population is returned with the parish. The chapel, which is dedicated to St. James, is under the rector of Wollastone, in the archdeaconry of Hereford, and diocese of Gloucester.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Tidenham/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library