Bibury

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

BIBURY, a parish comprising the chapelry of Winson, in the hundred of BRADLEY, and the tythings of Ablington and Arlington, in the hundred of BRIGHTWELL'S BARROW, county of GLOUCESTER, 3 miles (N.W.) from Fairford, and containing 990 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, within the jurisdiction of the peculiar of the vicarage of Bibury, rated in the king's books at £13. 1. 5., and in the patronage of E. Creswell, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. Thomas Tryon, author of a curious work, entitled "The Way to Health, Long Life, and Happiness", published in 1691, was a native of this place.

ABLINGTON, a tything in that part of the parish of BIBURY which is in the hundred of BRIGHTWELL'S-BARROW, county of GLOUCESTER, 5 miles (N.W. by N.) from Fairford, containing 127 inhabitants.

ARLINGTON, a tything in that part of the parish of BIBURY which is in the hundred of BRIGHTWELL'S-BARROW, county of GLOUCESTER, 4 miles (N.W.) from Fairford, containing 317 inhabitants.

WINSON, a chapelry in that part of the parish of BIBURY which is in the hundred of BRADLEY, county of GLOUCESTER, 5 miles (S.S.W.) from North Leach, containing 185 inhabitants. The chapel is dedicated to St. Michael. Winson is within the jurisdiction of the peculiar court of Bibury.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Bibury/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library