Quenington

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

QUENNINGTON, a parish in the hundred of BRIGHTWELLS-BARROW, county of GLOUCESTER, 2 miles (N.) from Fairford, containing 345 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £7 18. 4. M.H. Beach, Esq. was patron in 1822. The church, dedicated to St. Swithin, has enriched Norman doors, and has lately received an addition of sixty-four free sittings, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted £60 towards defraying the expense. Here was formerly a preceptory of Knights Hospitallers of St. John of Jerusalem, founded before the reign of John, the revenue of which, at the dissolution, was valued at £137. 7. 1.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Quenington/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library