Bishops Cleeve with Gotherington & Southam

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

CLEEVE (BISHOP'S), a parish forming the hundred of CLEEVE, or BISHOP'S-CLEEVE, in the county of GLOUCESTER, comprising the chapelry of Stoke-Orchard, the township of Bishop's Cleeve, and the hamlets of Gotherington, Southam with Brockampton, and Woodmancott, and containing 1548 inhabitants, of which number, 458 are in the township of Bishop's Cleeve, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Cheltenham. The living is a rectory, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the rector, in concurrence with the consistory court of the Bishop of Gloucester, wills and administrations being deposited in the bishop's registry: it is rated in the king's books at £84. 6. 8., and is in the patronage of the Rev. W.L. Townsend.

The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a curious and spacious structure, principally of Norman architecture, with a noble arch of exquisite workmanship in that style over the western entrance: the spire fell down in 1696, and caused considerable dilapidation, and, in 1700, it was replaced by the tower that now rises from the centre of the building, which underwent a thorough repair at the same time. The village occupies an eminence on the high road from Cheltenham to Evesham: its name, Clive, or Cleeve, is probably derived from the Saxon term Cliv, a steep ascent; and its adjunct given to distinguish it from Prior's Cleeve, it having been the property of the bishops of Worcester, whose ancient residence is now the rectory-house. On the ridge of Cleeve-Cloud hill, upon which races are annually held, is a large double intrenchment, called the Camps, in form of a crescent, three hundred and fifty yards in length, but accessible only in front.

BROCKHAMPTON, a hamlet in the parish of BISHOP'S-CLEEVE, hundred of CLEEVE, or BISHOP'S CLEEVE, county of GLOUCESTER, 3 miles (N. by W.) from Cheltenham, containing, with Southam, 248 inhabitants.

GOTHERINGTON, a hamlet in the parish of BISHOPS-CLEEVE, hundred of CLEEVE, or BISHOPS-CLEEVE, county of GLOUCESTER, 4 miles (W. by N.) from Winchcombe, containing 348 inhabitants.

SOUTHAM, a hamlet in the parish of BISHOP'S-CLEEVE, hundred of CLEEVE, or BISHOP'S-CLEEVE, county of GLOUCESTER, 2 miles (N.E.) from Cheltenham. The population is returned with Brockhampton.

WOODMANCOTT, a hamlet in the parish of BISHOP'S-CLEEVE, hundred of CLEEVE, or BISHOP'S-CLEEVE, county of GLOUCESTER, 3½ miles (W. by S.) from Winchcomb, containing 255 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/BishopsCleeve/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library