Buckland

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

BUCKLAND, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of KIFTSGATE, county of GLOUCESTER, 6 miles (W.S.W.) from Chipping-Campden, containing, with the hamlet of Laverton, 382 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £29. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Marquis of Bath. The church is a fine structure, in the later style of English architecture; some of the windows exhibit specimens of ancient stained glass. Henry Fred. Thynne, Esq., by deed in 1707, gave land producing upwards of £100 per annum, for teaching poor children of the parishes of Buckland and Chipping-Campden, and for other charitable purposes.

LAVERTON, a hamlet in the parish of BUCKLAND, lower division of the hundred of KIFTSGATE, county of GLOUCESTER. The population is returned with the parish.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Buckland/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library