Stanway

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

STANWAY, a parish, in the upper division of the hundred of TEWKESBURY, county of GLOUCESTER, 3 miles (N.E.) from Winchcombe, containing 415 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £9, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Earl of Wemyss and March. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. Limestone is obtained in the parish. The Earl of Wemyss supports two schools for the education of poor children.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Stanway/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library