Chedworth

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

CHEDWORTH, a parish in the hundred of RAPSGATE, county of GLOUCESTER, 5½ miles (W.S.W.) from North Leach, containing 975 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £7. 8. 4., and in the patronage of the Provost and Fellows of Queen's College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, contains a stone pulpit. In 1760, a Roman hypocaust was discovered at Lestercomb Bottom, in this parish, with a brick floor and pillars, a spring, and a cistern, the bricks of which bore the inscription "a'rviri". On a hill a little above is a large tumulus, in which, on the removal of a large stone set upright at its mouth, a great quantity of human bones was exposed. The rental of about one hundred and fifty acres of land is applied to the support of two schoolmasters and the vicar. Chedworth gave title of baron to the family of Howe, which became extinct on the death of John, Lord Chedworth.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Chedworth/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library