Christ Church, Berry Hill (2005)

Recent Photograph of Christ Church (2005) (Berry Hill)

Christchurch at Berry Hill was designed by Richard James, who also designed Old St John's Church in Coleford, and it shows - they are so similar as to be almost twin buildings! However Christchurch is the older of the two, consecrated in 1816. It was the first church to be built in the Forest of Dean, whereas Old St John's was to be built 5 years later, in 1821.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)

Reference:
Salter, Mike - Parish Churches of the Forest of Dean (ISBN: 1 871731 07 0), and commentary from Phil Draper.


Image contributed by Alf Beard on 14th June 2005.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Coleford/Christchurch.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library