Odda's Chapel, Deerhurst

Recent Photograph of Odda's Chapel (Deerhurst)

Odda's Chapel was (re)discovered in 1885 by Revd George Butterworth, Vicar of Deerhurst, hidden beneath plaster of the property it was attached to known as Abbot's Court, shown as the timber-framed building on this photograph.

It is now in the care of English Heritage and is described on its notice board as:

A small late Saxon Chapel with many characteristics associated with Anglo-Saxon construction, including long-and-short quoins (corner stones), double-splayed windows and tall proportions.”

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Rosemary Lockie on 23rd May 2007.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Deerhurst/OddasChapel.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library