St John the Evangelist's Church, Elkstone

Recent Photograph of St John the Evangelist's Church (Elkstone)

The church at Elkstone has the distinction of standing on higher ground than any other in the Cotswolds.

It is also noted for an intact series of parish registers, which date back to 1592.

The Rector between 1682 and 1725, one William Prior, was noted for quirky register entries. One of these is reputed to say “6th December 1704 was buried the stinking residue of William Gwylliams”.

(Information provided by John Williams/Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Alf Beard on 31st July 2005.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Elkstone/StJohn.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library