St Mary the Virgin's Church, Fairford (South Aisle)

Recent Photograph of St Mary the Virgin's Church (South Aisle) (Fairford)

Looking towards the south west corner of the church, showing a few out of a total of 28 windows in the church, illustrating teachings of the Bible for a medieval congregation, and thus performing a similar function to wall paintings, in pre-Reformation churches.The Guide Book of St Mary's Church tells us the glass was made between 1500 and 1517 to the direction of King Henry VII's Glazier, Barnard Flower, mainly in workshops in Westminster, and that a number of the glaziers and glass painters came from The Netherlands.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Rosemary Lockie on 12th May 2010.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Fairford/StMary7.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library