Falfield

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1923.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

FALFIELD is a civil parish (including the hamlet of Whitfield), constituted in 1896, 3½ miles north-east from Thornbury, in the Thornbury division of the county, union, petty sessional divisioni and county court district of Thornbury, rural deanery of Hawkesbury and archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester. The ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1863. The church of St. George, erected in 1860 at a cost of £1,460, partly given by Sir George Samuel Jenkinson bart. is a building of red sandstone in the Early English style, from designs by Mr. Dawkes, architect, and consists of chancel, nave and south porch, over which is an open bell turret with a small octagonal broach spire and containing one bell: the east window was filled with stained glass at the expense of Sir G.S. Jenkinson bart.: the stained west window was erected by Sir G.B. Jenkinson, bart. as a memorial to Sir G.S. Jenkinson, d. 1892, and Emily Sophia, his wife, and there are others to Anthony Lyster esq. of Stillorgan Park, Dublin, father of Lady Jenkinson; to Robert Anthony Banks Jenkinson, 2nd son of Sir G.S. Jenkinson bart. accidentally killed June 21, 1882; and to a daughter of the Rev. E. Hoare, a former rector of this parish: there are 200 sittings.

The separate register dates only from the year 1813; all earlier entries relating to this place are included in the Thornbury registers. The living is a perpetual curacy, net yearly value £250, including 6 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of trustees, and held since 1919 by the Rev. Arthur Dudley Lough. Near the church is a cross erected in memory of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. There is a Congregational chapel at Falfield, built in 1813. Eastwood park is the property and residence of Edgar Watts esq.; the mansion is a noble building standing in a well-timbered park of about 250 acres, and commands a beautiful view of the surrounding country. Major Algar Henry Stafford Howard M.C., J.P. who is lord of the manor, Edgar Watts esq. and the Earl of Ducie are the principal landowners. The soil is principally marl; subsoil, clay. The area is 2,154 acres; rateable value £3,456; the population in 1911 was 534.

Sexton William Phillips.

Post, M.O. & T. Office (letters should have Gloucestershire added).- Mrs. Laura Parsons, sub-postmistress

Police Station, Acting Sergt. George A. Wickham, officer in charge

Public Elementary School, Falfield (mixed), built in 1860 & since enlarged, for 80 children; now (1922) closed

Children attend school at Tortworth & Stone

Carrier to Bristol.- Henry Hook, fri
[Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1923]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Falfield/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library