Stone

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

STONE, a chapelry in the parish and upper division of the hundred of BERKELEY, county of GLOUCESTER, 2 miles (S. by W.) from Berkeley. The population is returned with the tything of Ham. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, endowed with £10 per annum private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Gloucester, by lapse. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is partly in the early, and partly in the later, style of English architecture.

HAM, a tything in the parish and upper division of the hundred of BERKELEY, county of GLOUCESTER, ¾ of a mile (S.) from Berkeley, containing, with the chapelry of Stone, 963 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Stone/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library