The Alms Houses, Forthampton

Recent Photograph of The Alms Houses (Forthampton)

These Alms Houses, sited to the east of the church, were designed by architect William BURGES, and completed in 1865. Notable features are the decorative wellhead in the garden, and the Yorke coat of arms on their gables. They replaced what was known as the ‘Church House’ for the poor of the parish, where in 1752, four families of 7 adults and 12 children were living (a record made by “Mr. Wodley and ye Clerk” in a return for inhabitants that year).

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Rosemary Lockie on 1st July 2008.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Forthampton/AlmsHouses.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library