St Mary the Virgin's Church, Forthampton (North Aisle)

Recent Photograph of St Mary the Virgin's Church (North Aisle) (Forthampton)

The north aisle was added to the church in 1847/8. Its foundation stone was laid on 19th April 1847 by Frances Antonia YORKE (wife of Joseph YORKE), of Forthampton Court. The brass plate attached to the stone has an inscription with the names of R. Bathurst PLUMTRE, Incumbent; Hay Macdowell ERSKINE, Curate; John WHITE and Charles IRELAND, Churchwardens; Joseph GRIFFITHS, Builder; and John R HAMILTON and James MEDLAND, Architects. After the ceremony - so the church guide book, quoting from a publication of the time, tells us - “A large proportion of the visitors subsequently availed themselves of the generous hospitality of Joseph YORKE, Esq. at Forthampton Court, and of the Rev. H.M. ERSKINE, at the Parsonage (then Southfield House)

The aisle's west window (just visible through the leftmost archway) is by Frederick PREEDY.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Rosemary Lockie on 1st July 2008.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Forthampton/StMary3.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library