Framilode

Extract from Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1923.
Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2012

FRAMILODE, with Epney and Priding, was formed into an ecclesiastical parish Feb. 13, 1854, from the parishes of Saul, Moreton Valence, Fretherne, Arlingham, Eastington, Wheatenhurst and Standish; it is on the river Severn, the Stroudwater canal, the river Frome and the Gloucester and Berkeley canal, 6 miles from Great Western and 5 north-west from Midland, Stonehouse stations, 4 west from Haresfield station on the Midland railway, and 8 south-west from Gloucester, in the Stroud division of the county, Berkeley hundred, union and petty sessional division of Wheatenhurst and county court district, rural deanery, archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester.

The church of St. Peter, consecrated on St. Matthew's day, 1854, is a building of stone in the Norman style, consisting of apsidal chancel, nave, porch and a tower on the south-west containing one bell: there are 350 sittings. The register dates from the year 1854. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £260, including 4 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Gloucester, and held since 1910 by the Rev. Edward Thomas Hull L.Th. of Durham University. The trustees of the late Henry Pickard Cambridge esq. are lords of the manor. The soil is clayey; subsoil, blue lies. The chief crops are wheat and beans and some land in pasture; fruit is also grown here in large quantities. The rateable value is included with that if Fretherne-with-Saul. The area is 253 acres; the population in 1911 was 383.

EPNEY is a hamlet 1 mile north-east.
[Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1923]

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Framilode/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library