Fretherne

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

FRETHERNE, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of WHITSTONE, county of GLOUCESTER, 9 miles (W.N.W.) from Stroud, containing 210 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £5. 6. 8. The Rev. J.H. Dunsford was patron in 1824. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. This is supposed to be the place called in the Saxon Chronicle Fethanleage, where Ceawlin, King of Wessex, obtained a victory over the Britons in 584. Fretherne cliff rises sixty feet above the surface of the Severn, on the bank of which it is situated. The Clifford family had anciently a castle in this parish.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Fretherne/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library