Moreton Valence

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

MORETON-VALENCE, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of WHITSTONE, county of GLOUCESTER, 7 miles (N.W. by W.) from Stroud, containing 348 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, endowed with £400 private benefaction, £800 royal bounty, and £300 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of - Pitt, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Stephen. The navigable river Severn bounds the parish on the north-west, and the Gloucester and Berkeley canal passes through it. Here are considerable iron-works.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/MoretonValence/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library