St John the Baptist's Church, Old Sodbury

Recent Photograph of St John the Baptist's Church (Old Sodbury)

“The original graveyard is almost circular and there is a ‘T’ shaped stone with four rounded crosses in the outside of the east wall. Both of these indicate that there might have been an Anglo-Saxon church. Although there is no mention of a church in the Doomsday Book (1086) that is not evidence that one did not exist”.[1]

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)

Reference
[1] This intriguing quotation was discovered on a former website of St John's Church.


Image contributed by Alf Beard on 13th March 2003.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/OldSodbury/StJohn.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library