St James's Church, Staunton by Redmarley (Triptych Panel)

Recent Photograph of St James's Church (Triptych Panel) (Staunton by Redmarley)

This panel is mounted on the north wall of the belfry, below the tower, where - as can be seen - bell ropes hang down.

Next to it is a boad recording a Table of Benefactions to the Parish:

Two Houses, with a pasture ground a-
bove Heathall pitt, known by ye name of Clarks
place Valuable at two pounds 3 shills a year
One House, Orchard, & Garden with two
closes of Land below Heathall pitt Valuable
at one pound ten shillings a year
One House and Garden at Bowles
green with Lands to ye same adjoining & in
common Birchly, known by ye name of Tay-
lour's Valuable at six pounds a year
These three Messuages all scituate in ye
Parish of Stanton [sic]
One House & Garden with an Orchard
containing about two Acres of Land call-
ed Hussey's place scituate in ye Parish of
Ridmarley near ye Parke-gate Valuable at
two pounds ten shillings a year
James BEARD late of ye City of Glour.
Gent. defed gave by his last will bearing
date ye sixthe day of May 1740 the yearly
rent & sum of Forty shillings for ever to be
raised & paid out of his Estate at Stanton
called Walker-s ford, & to be applyed to ye
uses following to witt to be given to Eight
poor persons of this Parish that receive no
Alms, being five shillings apiece as his
Executor and ye Church-wardens & the
Over-seers of this Parish shall appoint

And below that, the following memorial to a bell ringer:

Beneath this Stone lieth the Body of Wm BARNES a notable ringer who was buried in Jany. 1785 ages 55 Yrs.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Rosemary Lockie on 11th October 2007.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/StauntonNewent/StJames6.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library