Withington

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

WITHINGTON, a parish in the hundred of BRADLEY, county of GLOUCESTER, 6 miles (W.) from North Leach, containing 759 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Incumbent, rated in the king's books at £30, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Worcester. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a cruciform structure, principally in the Norman style, and partly of later date: among the monuments is a handsome one to the memory of Sir John How, his wife, and nine children, in a small cross aisle on the south side of the church, the burial-place of that family. The river Colne runs through the parish, in which a Roman pavement was discovered in 1811, a part of which was deposited in the British Museum. There are two schools, one for boys and one for girls, and one in the hamlet of Foxcote, supported by the interest of money left to the parish. The Rev. W. Osborn, D.D., who held the living of this parish, left £100 for apprenticing poor children and John Rich, Esq., gave £100 also for the same purpose: there are other benefactions for the use of the poor.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Withington/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library