Bacton

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

BACTON, a parish in the hundred of WEBTREE, county of HEREFORD, 11 miles (S.W. by W.) from Hereford, containing 120 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £3. 13. 4., and in the patronage of Sir Hungerford Hoskyns, Bart. The church is dedicated to St. Faith. A great quantity of limestone and some marble are obtained here. A court baron is held septennially. A parochial school was established in 1824, and is supported by subscription: four poor children are taught for an endowment by Mr. Oliver. Here are two chalybeate springs.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Bacton/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library