Inside St Michael's Church, Castle Frome (W)

Recent Photograph of Inside St Michael's Church (W) (Castle Frome)

The Font, one of the wonders of Herefordshire, dates from around 1170. It rests on four human figures, of which only the heads can be seen. Sadly only one of the heads remains intact, as the others have been (apparently deliberately) smashed beyond recognition - possibly during the Civil War? Round the bowl are emblems of the Four Evangelists - winged bull (St Matthew), (lion) St Mark, a winged man holding a book (St Luke), and an eagle (St John)

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Rosemary Lockie on 11th October 2007.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/CastleFrome/StMichael3.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library