St Mary's Church, Fownhope (Heart of Oak Banner)

Recent Photograph of St Mary's Church (Heart of Oak Banner) (Fownhope)

The ‘Heart of Oak’ Friendly Society was established in 1876, and according to the guide leaflet a revival of an older Amicable Society founded in 1791. It existed to provided sickness and death benefits for its members. It is now ‘laid up’ in the church, but in the past, the banner would be carried on ceremonial occasions, the main one being the Annual Club Day Walk, held originally on Oak Apple Day (May 29th), then on a Public Holiday.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Rosemary Lockie on 23rd April 2009.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Fownhope/StMary5.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library