Garway

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

GARWAY, a parish in the lower division, of the hundred of WORMELOW, county of HEREFORD, 7 miles (N.W.) from Monmouth, containing 522 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £800 royal bounty, and £1000 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of W.H. Jenkins, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. Here is a place of worship for Baptists. Mrs. Frances Scudamore, in 1716, bequeathed an estate, now producing a rental of £64, in trust, to the minister and churchwardens of Garway, Kentchurch, and Llangaron, for apprenticing two or more children of one of those parishes every year alternately; and the residue for distribution, in like manner, among six poor widows.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Garway/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library