Pencombe

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

PENCOMBE, a parish in the hundred of BROXASH, county of HEREFORD, 4 miles (W. by S.) from Bromyard, containing, with the townships of Grendon-Warren and Marstone-Stannett, 453 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, rated in the king's books at £13. 6. 8., and in the patronage of Richard Arkright, Esq. A court leet is held here once in three years; and, by ancient custom, the lord of the manor claims a pair of gilt spurs whenever a mayor of Hereford dies while in office.

GRENDON-WARREN, a chapelry in the parish of PENCOMBE, hundred of BROXASH, county of HEREFORD, 4 miles (W.) from Bromyard. The population is returned with the parish.

MARSTON-STANNETT, a chapelry in the parish of PENCOMBE, hundred of BROXASH, county of HEREFORD, 6 miles (W. by N.) from Bromyard. The living is a perpetual curacy, with the rectory of Pencombe, In the archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford, endowed with £410 private benefaction, and £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Rector of Pencombe.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Pencombe/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library