St Bridget's Church, Skenfrith / Ynysgynwraidd (John Morgan's Tomb)

Recent Photograph of St Bridget's Church (John Morgan's Tomb) (Skenfrith / Ynysgynwraidd)

John ap Philip Morgan (d.1557) was Steward to the Dukes of Lancaster, Lords of the Manor of Skenfrith, and the last Governor of the “Three Castles”, Grosmont, Skenfrith, and White. He was also Member of Parliament for the Monmouthshire Boroughs in 1553/54. The Effigies on his Tomb show figures in the costumes of the period. On top are the figures of John Morgan and his wife, and on the south side (facing us) are four men, possibly his sons, and on the north side are four women in lace ruffs, farthingale and stomacher. At the head and in a chevron between the heads are two red roses, symbolising his office of Receiver to the Duchy of Lancaster. At the feet are the Arms of his wife Anne's family, the Cecils - Ann died in 1564.

On the wall above the tomb is a Memorial of a rather later date:

Sacred to the Memory of
John GWILLIAM of this Parish,
who died Feby. 17th 1793 Aged 64
Also of Mary, Wife of
John CARTER, of the
Brook House in this Parish,
who died Sepr. ye. 24th.
1801 Aged 64.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Rosemary Lockie on 25th June 2009.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/MON/Skenfrith/StBridget5.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library