Colton

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

COLTON, a parish in the southern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, 2 miles (N. by E.) from Rugeley, containing 569 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Stafford, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry, rated in the king's books at £5, and in the patronage of the Rev. C.S. Landor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is very ancient, and has a square tower. Here is a school, with a house for the master, founded by contribution in 1763, for teaching twenty children, and since endowed with £500 by the late John Spencer, Esq.; there is also a school for younger children, endowed by the late Mr. Webb with land and a house called the Bell Inn, producing £5 per annum. The Grand Trunk canal passes through the south-west part of this parish.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/Colton/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library