Mavesyn Ridware

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

RIDWARE (MAVESYN), a parish in the northern division of the hundred of OFFLOW, county of STAFFORD, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Rudgeley, containing 598 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean of Lichfield, rated in the king's books at £7. 2. 11., and in the patronage of Charles Chadwick and J.N. Lane, Esqrs. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas. The parish is bounded by the Trent, and intersected by the river Blythe and the Grand Trunk canal. A court leet is held annually for the Ridwares, at Hamstall-Ridware and Aldridge alternately. A free school is supported by subscription. About three miles north of the church are slight remains of Blythbury priory.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/STS/MavesynRidware/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library