Bishops Cannings

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

CANNINGS (BISHOP'S), a parish in the hundred of POTTERNE-and-CANNINGS, county of WILTS, 3 miles (N.E.) from Devizes, containing, with the chapelry of St. James, and the tything of Chittoe, 2722 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury, rated in the king's books at £17. 19. 2. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a large and handsome structure, in the early style of English architecture.

JAMES (ST.), a chapelry in the parish of BISHOPS CANNINGS, hundred of POTTERNE-AND-CANNINGS, county of WILTS, containing 1265 inhabitants.

CHITTOE, a tything in the parish of BISHOP'S-CANNINGS, hundred of POTTERNE-and-CANNINGS, county of WILTS, 5 miles (N.W.) from Devizes, containing 233 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/WIL/BishopsCannings/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library