Charlton St Peter

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

CHARLTON, a parish in the hundred of SWANBOROUGH, county of WILTS, 4 miles (S.W.) from Pewsey, containing 193 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Salisbury, rated in the king's books at £6. 15. 6., and in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. Here was an Alien priory, founded in 1187, as a cell to the abbey of L'isle Dieu, and granted at the suppression of Alien houses to St. Katherine's Hospital, London. About a mile to the westward are the remains of an intrenched camp, with a spacious prætorium, called Casterley, the area of which, comprising sixty acres, is intersected from north to south by a broad fosse.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/WIL/CharltonStPeter/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library