North Newnton

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

NEWTON (NORTH), a parish in the hundred of SWANBOROUGH, county of WILTS, 3 miles (S.W. by W.) from Pewsey, containing, with the tything of Hilcott, 288 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Wilts, and diocese of Salisbury, rated in the king's books at £7. 1. 3., and in the patronage of the Prebendary of Beaminster-Secunda in the Cathedral Church of Salisbury. The church is dedicated to St. James.

HILCOTT, a tything in the parish of NORTH-NEWTON, hundred of SWANBOROUGH, county of WILTS; 3 miles (W. by S.) from Pewsey. The population is returned with the parish.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/WIL/NorthNewnton/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library