Crudwell

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

CRUDWELL, a parish in the hundred of MALMESBURY, county of WILTS, 4 miles (N.N.E.) from Malmesbury, containing, with the tything of Eastcourt, 570 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Wilts, and diocese of Salisbury, rated in the king's books at £17.  5. 2., and in the patronage of the Earl of Hardwicke. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a large and handsome edifice in the Norman style of architecture; on one side of the nave the columns are short and massive, while on the other side they are lofty and light. A free school, founded by John, Lord Lucas, is supported by donations of about £6 per annum. Near this place runs the old Fosseway to Cirencester.

EASTCOURT, a tything in the parish of CRUDWELL, hundred of MALMESBURY, county of WILTS, 4 miles (N.E. by N.) from Malmesbury, containing 157 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/WIL/Crudwell/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library