Market Lavington

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

LAVINGTON, or MARKET (EAST), a parish in the hundred of SWANBOROUGH, county of WILTS, comprising the market-town of East Lavington, and the tything of Easterton, and containing 1438 inhabitants, of which number, 1061 are in the town of East Lavington, 6 miles (S.) from Devizes, and 90 (W. by S.) from London. The town is situated in a fertile valley, at the base of the chalk hills which form the northern boundary of Salisbury plain, and consists principally of one street: the trade is chiefly in corn and malt. The market is on Wednesday; and a fair is held on the 10th of August. A court baron for the manor is held twice a year. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Salisbury, rated in the king's books at £14. 2. 6., and in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, stands on a lofty eminence, hence the popular name of Steeple-Lavington given to the town. There are two places of worship for Independents. Here is a free school for the education of thirty-six children. The learned and laborious antiquary, Dr. Thomas Tanner, Bishop of St. Asaph, and author of the "Notitia Monastica", was born here, in 1674, his father having been vicar of the parish; and at his death, in 1733, he bequeathed £200 for the benefit of the poor.

EASTERTON, a tything in the parish of EAST-LAVINGTON, hundred of SWANBOROUGH, county of WILTS, 1 mile (N.E.) from East Lavington, containing 377 inhabitants. There is a small school for the education of the poor.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/WIL/MarketLavington/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library