West Lavington

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

LAVINGTON (WEST), a parish in the hundred of POTTERNE-and-CANNINGS, county of WILTS, l mile (S.W. by S.) from Lavington, containing, with the tything of Littleton-Pannell, 1123 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Salisbury, rated in the king's books at £11. 16. 3., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is dedicated to All Saints. A free school was liberally endowed with land, in 1542, by William Dauntsey. There are three almshouses for as many poor women.

LITTLETON-PANNELL, a tything in the parish of WEST-LAVINGTON, hundred of POTTERNE-and-CANNINGS, county of WILTS, 1 mile (W.) from East Lavington, containing 497 inhabitants. This village was anciently the lordship of the Paganells, one of whom obtained for it the privilege of a market, in the reign of Edward II.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/WIL/WestLavington/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library