Broadway

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

BROADWAY, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of PERSHORE, being the southern extremity of the county of WORCESTER, 5 miles (S.E.) from Evesham, containing 1382 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Bishop of Worcester, rated in the king's books at £10,17. 6., endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Miss Eliz. Mills. The church is dedicated to St. Eadburgh. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyan Methodists, and Roman Catholics. Thomas Hodges, in 1686, gave land for the instruction of poor boys, directing the overplus to be applied in purchasing books and clothes, or in apprenticing them. In the neighbourhood are quarries of good freestone.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/WOR/Broadway/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library