Fladbury

Extract from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
Transcribed by Mel Lockie, © Copyright 2010
Lewis Topographical Dictionaries

FLADBURY, a parish in the middle division of the hundred of OSWALDSLOW, county of WORCESTER, 4 miles (E.) from Pershore, comprising the chapelries of Stock with Bradley, Throckmorton, and Wyre-Piddle; the township of Hill with Moor, and the hamlet of Hob-Lench, otherwise Abbots-Lench, and containing 1387 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the rector, rated in the king's books at £81. 10., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Worcester. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. In Ethelred's reign, a society of religious persons was established here subordinate to the church of Worcester. The navigable river Avon has a ferry over it at this place.

BRADLEY, a chapelry in the parish of FLADBURY, middle division of the hundred of OSWALDSLOW, county of WORCESTER, 6 miles (E.S.E.) from Droitwich, containing, with the hamlet of Stock, 208 inhabitants.

HILL, a township, joint with Moor, in the parish of FLADBURY, middle division of the hundred of OSWALDSLOW, county of WORCESTER, 4 miles (N.E. by E.) from Pershore, containing 295 inhabitants.

HOB-LENCH, otherwise ABBOTS-LENCH, a hamlet in the parish of FLADBURY, middle division of the hundred of OSWALDSLOW, county of WORCESTER, 6? miles (N. by W.) from Evesham, containing 102 inhabitants. Here was formerly a chapel, which has gone to decay.

MOOR, a township, joint with Hill, in the parish of FLADBURY, middle division of the hundred of OSWALDSLOW, county of WORCESTER, 3 miles (E, by N.) from Pershore. The population is returned with Hill.

STOCK, a hamlet in the parish of FLADBURY, middle division of the hundred of OSWALDSLOW, county of WORCESTER, 6 miles (E.S.E.) from Droitwich, The population is returned with the chapelry of Bradley.

THROCKMORTON, a chapelry in the parish of FLADBURY, middle division of the hundred of OSWALDSLOW, county of WORCESTER, 3 miles (N.E.) from Pershore, containing 153 inhabitants.

WYRE-PIDDLE, a chapelry in the parish of FLADBURY, middle division of the hundred of OSWALDSLOW, county of WORCESTER, 1 mile (N.E. by E.) from Pershore, containing 178 inhabitants.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/WOR/Fladbury/index.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library