St Gregory's Church, Castlemorton (SW View)

Recent Photograph of St Gregory's Church (SW View) (Castlemorton)

The most eye-catching aspect of this church approaching from the south west is the staircase turret, but it contains a great deal more of of interest besides.

The guide leaflet tells us the church dates from the 12th century, possibly built on what may have been the site of an earlier Saxon church. The tower was an early addition, being built in 1387; however the spire was not added until about 500 years later, in the 17th century. It has two diagonal stepped buttresses, with a niche (for a statue?) in each, and 4 gargoyles, 2 each on the north-west and south-west walls.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Rosemary Lockie on 18th September 2008.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/WOR/Castlemorton/StGregory.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library