St Faith's Church, Overbury

Recent Photograph of St Faith's Church (Overbury)

This view of the church is from the lane leading up the side of the churchyard towards Overbury Court. A stream runs underneath the road, and bubbles out in the churchyard, only to disappear again, near the Lychgate.

The stream has its source on Bredon Hill, and during the 17th and 18th centuries it was providing power to drive several mills, producing flour, paper and silk threads. The rise and fall of this industry can, perhaps, be observed in some population figures. The Church Guide Book records that the population in the mid 18th century may have been about 350, after which there was a steep rise to about 800 in 1800; however by the 1871 census, it had fallen again, down to 650.

The village is part of the estate of Overbury Court, which has been the residence of the MARTIN family, since 1723. Its first tenant was John MARTIN, a London Banker, who was born in Evesham. The present Court building dates from 1738, when it was rebuilt, following a fire.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Rosemary Lockie on 8th September 2008.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/WOR/Overbury/StFaith.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library