St John the Baptist's Church, Strensham

Recent Photograph of St John the Baptist's Church (Strensham)

Now in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust, St John the Baptist's Church stands in proud isolation, on a ridge looking eastwards over the River Avon, where in earlier times, it was part of the settlement surrounding the former Strensham Castle, 500 yards to the west.

Archaeological excavations reveal the land between the Castle and Church was filled with buildings until the end of the 14th century, when the settlement was abandoned. However the Castle itself was not destroyed until the Civil War.

The earliest parts of the church date from the 14th century. It is built in grey lias rubble stone, with an exterior lime rendering, a large proportion of which has been replaced in a recent programme of restoration.

The RUSSELL family were Lords of the Manor of Strensham from the late 13th century until the death of the last “incumbent” to inherit by direct descent, in 1804. The church has many fine monuments to their memory.

The modern village of Strensham lies on lower ground, some distance away.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Rosemary Lockie on 1st September 2008.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/WOR/Strensham/StJohn.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library