Pictures of the Past : “The Pounds”, Dymock

Old Postcard of “The Pounds” (Dymock)

The original postcard has a wide white border around it, and a caption:


The Pounds is within an area of Dymock known as Tiller's Green. The Rev. J. E. Gethyn Jones in his book “Dymock down the Ages” suggests it may have been the Home Farm of the Old Grange, citing evidence of the passage of Monks between the two, in local names Monks Meadow and Monks Bridge.

It was the home of the CAM family from the early 16th century to late 18th. He also recounts that in 1938 a stairway was discovered half-way up the kitchen chimney, and 9 years later 2 secret rooms to which it led, suggesting its residents in Elizabethan times might have been Recusants.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)

Image contributed by Tony Woodward on 4th April 2002.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page:
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library