St James the Elder's Church, Horton

Recent Photograph of St James the Elder's Church (Horton)

St James the Elder's Church is situated next to Horton Court, whose grounds contain the ruins of a Norman hall, and rectory. The hall was built by Robert de Beaufeu, who was Rector of Horton and a Prebendary of Salisbury Cathedral from 1150. It was used by rectors of Horton until the beginning of the 16th century, when William Knight, a chaplain to Henry VIII, and later Bishop of Bath and Wells, laid the foundations of the present house, built at right angles to the older structure.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)

Reference
Tour UK - Horton Court.


Image contributed by Alf Beard on 19th January 2003.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/Horton/StJames.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library