St Adeline's Church, Little Sodbury

Recent Photograph of St Adeline's Church (Little Sodbury)

St Adeline's church was originally a private chapel belonging to Little Sodbury Hall, the manorial home of Sir John Walsh. He had employed William Tyndale as a chaplain and tutor in 1521, and Tyndale preached in the chapel, which stood behind the Hall. The chapel however fell into decay, and in 1859, was replaced by the present building, a near replica, which incorporates original windows and carvings from the early chapel.

It is understood to be the only church in the United Kingdom to be dedicated to St Adeline.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)

Reference
St Adeline's Church website.


Image contributed by Phil Draper on 24th May 2003.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/LittleSodbury/StAdeline.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library