Church House, Redmarley d'Abitot

Recent Photograph of Church House (Redmarley d'Abitot)

This old cottage is known as Church House, and stands next to St Bartholomew's Church (the wall of the Tower is just visible on the right of the photograph). It is believed to have been built in the 16th century, and was used as the parish Poor House from about 1800 until the Union of Workhouse Act of 1834. Chimneys (on the other side of the property to this photograph) were added in the 18th century, and it was used subsequently as the village bakehouse; then until about 1960 it was the Village Post Office. It is now a private dwelling.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)

Reference
Warde, Eric - Prosperity to this Parish. Severnprint, Ltd, Gloucester, 2007.


Image contributed by Alf Beard on 15th September 2007.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/GLS/RedmarleydAbitot/ChurchHouse.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library