St Mary's Church, Abbeydore (Royal Arms)

Recent Photograph of St Mary's Church (Royal Arms) (Abbeydore)

After the Act of Supremacy (1534) marking the end of papal power in England, the Sovereign's Arms were required to be displayed in churches, in order to demonstrate to the Congregation that the Monarch was now head of their church. Here in Abbeydore, the Royal Arms on the far wall of the North Transept belong to Queen Anne.

(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)


Image contributed by Mel Lockie on 19th February 2009.
This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://places.wishful-thinking.org.uk/HEF/Abbeydore/StMary3.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library